Thursday, August 29, 2013

Fathers Day

We are learning to PEE when we write paragraphs.  Each paragraph has to have a point, an explanation, and examples.  I asked the lads and lasses in my class to write 5 peeing paragraphs about a parent. At this point Sheree reminded me it was Fathers Day on Sunday and asked if they could make cards.  I surprised them by bringing in my cardmaking stuff.   This resulted in a Friday morning and lunchtime of creativity and messes.  Halfway through the morning I had the bright idea of making this part of our upcoming unit on friendships.   I made the students write a complimentary description about a class member that I chose.   It was a much harder task thinking of ideas. We suddenly found a learning reason to use Google chat so Ihad to lift the class wide ban.  In The past Google chat has proved a major distraction.   Today, however, it was extremely helpful as it allowed students to discreetly queriethe friends odd the person they had been assigned to. A very successful way to get students collaborating with people they don't usually seem out.   They then made another card to  contain the published writing.


5 comments:

tasteach said...

G'day Room 6 students,

Thanks for registering for the September 2013 blogging challenge. Make sure you visit the blog every week starting 8th September, when the first challenge is published.

If you want a reminder sent to your email each week, use the "Subscribe by email" on the right sidebar of the challenge blog.

Also make sure you visit blogs from other classes around the world with similar ages - see list in blog header.

Feel free to add the 2013 badge to your blog.

Miss W or tasteach - challenge organizer

Anonymous said...

Those cards are cool. I hope you guys had fun making them : )

Anonymous said...

Those cards are cool. I hope you guys had fun making them : )

Anonymous said...

Thats cards are very creative. I'm sure your Dad's will be very pleased with having those cards!

Georgia Benton
Selwyn House

Anonymous said...

I think my class would be giggling so much about having to PEE while the write that it would be hard to get writing done. MsB 8B Selwyn House School